The Connecting Europe Facility for Transport
The Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) for Transport is a key EU funding instrument to realise the EU’s transport infrastructure policy which supports infrastructure investments at European level. It supports the development of high performing, sustainable and efficiently interconnected trans-European transport services.
CEF Transport provides funding for the development of new transport infrastructure in Europe or rehabilitating and upgrading the existing one. In addition, it focuses on cross-border projects and projects aiming at removing bottlenecks or bridging missing links in various sections of the TEN-T Core Network and on the Comprehensive Network as well as for horizontal priorities such as traffic management systems.
CEF Transport also supports innovation in the transport system in order to improve the use of infrastructure, reduce the environmental impact of transport, enhance energy efficiency and increase safety.
The budget for CEF Transport is of EUR 25.81 billion (including EUR 11.29 billion for cohesion countries).
2021 CEF Transport Call – Supporting the construction and upgrade of sustainable transport infrastructure projects
The 2021 CEF Transport Call is the currently open CEF funding instrument that provides EUR 7 billion for projects aiming to build, upgrade and improve European transport infrastructure.
Projects areas eligible for funding are the following:
- Infrastructure projects on the Core and Comprehensive TEN-T (railways, inland waterways, maritime and inland ports, roads, rail-road terminals and multimodal logistics platforms)
- Smart applications for transport (ERTMS, ITS, SESAR, RIS, etc.)
- Transport interoperability
- Alternative fuels infrastructure (including electricity fast-charging and hydrogen refuelling infrastructure on the TEN-T road network)
- Motorways of the Sea
- Multimodal passenger hubs
- Reduction of rail freight noise
- Safe and secure parking infrastructure
- Road safety
- Improvement of transport infrastructure resilience, in particular to climate change and natural disasters
- Adaptation of transport infrastructure for Union external border checks purposes
- Adaptation of the TEN-T to civilian-defence dual-use (Military Mobility envelope)
The first submission deadline of this single-stage call is on 19 January 2022.
For further details on the objectives, admissibility, eligibility, application, evaluation and awarding of funding under 2021 CEF Transport Call, please feel free to contact the EUFUNDINGHUB.
EU funding news and articles. All new articles in one place!
Do you want to read all the articles ahead ? Subscribe now and receive our online magazine each month!