Select Page

Introduced in 1962, the CAP is one of the oldest and particularly funded EU policy fields.

It has the following objectives:

• Support farmers and improve agricultural productivity to ensure a secure supply of affordable food;

• Enable European Union farmers to earn a fair income;

• Contribute to the fight against climate change and to the sustainable management of natural resources;

• Preserve rural areas and landscapes in the EU;

• Stimulate the rural economy by promoting jobs in agriculture, agri-food and related industries.

The CAP is a common policy for all Member States of the European Union. It is financed and managed at European level from the EU budget. During the EU’s multiannual financial framework (MFF) for 2021 until 2027 the CAP is funded with €386.6 billion.

The CAP is supported by two funding pillars:

1. European agricultural guarantee fund (EAGF)
The EAGF has an allocation of €291.1 billion. Up to €270 billion will be pro-vided for income support schemes, with the remainder dedicated to supporting agricultural markets.

2. European agricultural fund for rural development (EAFRD)
For the EAFRD, the total allocation amounts to €95.5 billion. This includes €8.1 billion from the next generation EU recovery instrument to help address the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Around 30% of the recovery funds will become available in 2021, with the remaining 70% to be released in 2022.

The CAP’s strategic plans will allow for a greater degree of flexibility between the two funds and will include the ambitions of the European Green Deal, in particular the farm to fork strategy. Overall, 40% of total CAP expenditure will be dedicated to climate action.

The EU’s Farm to fork strategy – for a fair, healthy and environmentally-friendly food system

• Make sure Europeans have access to healthy, affordable and sustainable food

• Tackle climate change

• Protect the environment and preserve biodiversity

• Ensure a fair economic return in the supply chain

• Increase organic farming


€10 billion under Horizon Europe to be invested in R&I related to food, bioeconomy, natural resources, agriculture, fisheries, aquaculture and the environment. Knowledge transfer will be essential. The CAP’s farm advisory services and farm sustainability data network will be instrumental in assisting farmers in the transition.

The European Commission co-finances projects to inform the public about the CAP :

• to explain and raise awareness on the EU support to agriculture and rural development through the CAP;

• to engage with farmers and other actors in rural areas, and for them to further communicate to their constituencies and the wider public about the CAP.

These projects can include:

• TV features on agriculture and innovation;

• farm visits;

• information campaigns;

• audio-visual and media activities;

• apps for smartphones and tablets.

Any person or legal entity such as associations or national authorities can participate in the call for proposal, published once a year.

Do you want to read all the articles ahead ?
All new articles in one place! Subscribe now and receive our online magazine each month!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This